View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 12:11 AM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55 Ford door adjustment

Now for the Driver door adjustment !
I inspected the driver door fit in the opening and determined what it would take to straighten the door to get it to close right and fit straight. The door needed to be moved upward and tilted toward the front at the top and toward the rear at the bottom. I tried to adjust it, but the adjustment was already at the end of it's travel range. I removed the driver side door and hinges.
To get the door to move upward, I ground out the bottom of all three hinge mounting holes on both hinges, then filled in at the top of the holes with weld and ground them smooth and flat so that the hinge bolts would poke thru the holes freely (as I did with the passenger side hinges). This time, I added a little extra slop in the holes to reduce the possibility of binding during adjusting.
Hinge1.JPG Hinge2.JPG
I put the door back on and tried to get my best adjustment with the modified hinges but still needed to tilt the door counterclockwise so that the bottom of the door would be closer to the door divider partition at the rear and it would also help to move the top of the door at the back closer to the bottom of the rain gutter.
I added shims to the bottom door hinge to achieve the tilt I needed as the door was still at the end of it's adjustment at the bottom. I dug around and found three large washers each 1/8 inch thick with the proper size holes that would fit in the hinge mounting recess without interference. I had to grind one edge down flat on two of the washers so they would lay flat against the backside of the top & bottom hinge mounting surfaces. The middle washer did not need grinding, but care needed to be taken while installing the hinge so that the washer would not fall down into the rocker panel. So I put the middle bolt thru the middle hinge hole and slid the washer on the back and inserted the hinge into the cowl holding the bolt in place with a 1/2 inch hex nutdriver. The other two washers were held in place on the cowl with a little bit of duxseal which would ooze out when the bolts were tightened up.
So NOW the door is re-installed for the third time. Within the hour, I had the door adjusted as well as it could be and have it fit and hang evenly. In its new position, the door opens and closes without fighting or binding as it was previously. Tada !
Dr-adj1.JPG
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)