View Single Post
Old 04-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
blucar

Default Re: Radial tires on a Early V8

I am fully aware that $1.200. is a lot of money for a set of tires that will only get approximately 1k of use per year..
I learned a long time ago that tires are not something to fool around with. When everything is said and done, you are putting your life, and the life of your passengers/innocent bystanders, on the line under the guise of saving a few bucks.
In the early '50's I worked for a company selling tires. The Company came out with a program to increase tire sales. We were instructed to insert a dime into the tread of a tire, if we could read "In God We Trust" that was exactly what the motorist was doing. We sold tons of tires with that program. I still use a dime to check the tread depth on my tires.
I re-read the tire spec's in my tire catalogs.. All of the 16" tires listed, bias or radials, other than the 600x16 or 650x16, 4-5 inch wheel, are designed to be used on wheels that are 6 to 8 inches wide.
Tires that are designed for wider wheels will put stress on the wheel, thereby resulting in a possible split rim at the bead line. The narrow wheel will also pull the sidewalls in causing the tire to not have proper contact with the road surface..