View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #13
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 Ford V8 emblem questions

OLDTINDEALER,

Thanks for the insult. The two photos below are what are included in the book; it's a NOS emblem of which I've had more than my fair share. Could there have been more than one supplier of the part? Absolutely, as multiple outside sourcing was Ford's policy and examples of it abound. Could a supplier have multiple molds for castings and other molded parts? Your example of numbers from 1 to 4 is likely example of that practice. (The best example of that practice are the mold numbers on head lamp lenses.) Should the book not have been published until photos of all possible variations of all the suppliers' parts were in hand?

Are you saying that the book should have gone beyond showing originals and should inform the readers how to avoid reproductions such as including the weight of the originals? Think about that for a minute. Instead of 600 plus pages, what, 1,200 pages? Many of the owners of the book can't be bothered to look in it to find answers to their questions, but call or e-mail me for me to provide that which they already have in their possession. Would more detail lessen that tendency or increase it. I'm pretty confident of the answer.

While I laud your efforts to make the world a better place, you'll not likely put a dent in the tendency of the unscrupulous or the ill informed to mis-identify and/or overstate the virtues of what they are trying to sell. A review of the ads on any given day on ebay and HAMB yield all sorts of examples of exaggeration or misinformation from mild to extreme.

As the lead-in to the cars for sale and parts for sale pages on the HAMB make clear, caveat emptor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 365.jpg (35.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 366.jpg (34.2 KB, 209 views)
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote