Thread: Andalusite Blue
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 10:49 PM   #11
30Murray

Default Re: Andalusite Blue

Here is an update.

My friend confirmed that his test sample was nitrocellulose lacquer, Ditzler #121. I took it back into the PPG paint jobber, along with the info on his left-over paint label and they confirmed that it matched Ford Midnight Blue, PPG #15282. Brent, is that the same number you are using? In their computer, it was listed for 1928 - 1936 Fords, which is strange. Also, when the jobber called PPG support on my first visit, they could only provide a mixture formula for Andalusite Blue in water based paint, which doesn't translate to solvent based apparently. Brent, you must have had better luck with them.

I had a small amount mixed up in JTX single stage urethane (we can't use Concept here because of the high VOC) and sprayed my own test sample and it looks perfect. In outdoor light it seems to match the old paint and finish guide chips quite close, but not the new one at all. I tried to take a photo to show the comparison but too much reflection for a clear picture.

I checked paintref.com and autocolorlibrary.com and found there are a number of variations in names for the same Midnight Blue code (3G), but when I asked my jobber to check these, they appeared to be metallic paint. However, when I searched for PPG #15282 on paintref.com it shows 1979-80 Ford Fiesta Midnight Blue, Ford code X9 and X0.

Anyways, I am now happy that I have the right colour - for me at least, and hopefully the above information will help others wanting to use this colour.
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote