Thread: Skips Pumps
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #18
ezzmoney

Default Re: Skips Pumps

I bought the car from an older fellow who had Cornetts build the motor. When I was a Teen Cornetts were one of the top Race Car engine builders around here but I imagine the Original owner is no longer doing the work there. The Man I bought it from had just finished the resto and said he was selling it because his wife had recently been diagnosed with dementia. I know now that I didn't do as good of a job in checking out the car due to my sympathy for his situation. I drove it a short way and the original temp gauge didn't show any problems so I loaded it on a trailer and brought it 150 miles back home. The next day was a warm one and when I took ride it boiled over. I put an aftermarket temp gauge on it and discovered it would get up to 230-240 when climbing a hill. I called him several times and got no answer. I even drove back to his house and no one would answer the door. I realized the I was on my own. It had Vintage Air Conditioning on it so the first thing I did was remove the condenser from in front of the radiator. That helped . The next thing I did was buy a shroud. That helped also. I'm getting there in bits and pieces and was thinking about trying Skips water pumps as I read many posts about them lowering temps as much as 20 Degrees. I think at this time I will concentrate on timing and the carb. This is my 4th flathead and have never had this much problems with over heating with stock pumps so even though Skip makes a great product it may not be the fix for my issues. Sorry to hear you had problems with Cornetts and I couldn't recommend them myself now.
ezzmoney is offline   Reply With Quote