View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #27
MrTube

Default Re: Proof of the BIG Bang Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
At work they just got a "new" air compresser, it looks new, the paint is perfect, but the date on the tank is 1988, the paint is so perfect that there wasn't even a chip on the paint of the drain plug for the pump oil sump---same for the drain petcock at the bottom of the tank, and when forced open nothing came out, there is also an automatic drain ---both drain pipes were so clogged with rust that I had to drill them out.

I modify the drains ---my idea is if they are made easy to use the tank will be drained, I get rid of the old style winged petcock that is normally used, I extend the drain with a street elbow,a pipe long enough that a modern small ball valve with the easy to use lever is in a position that there is no crawling around and fighting to drain it----just lean over and turn the valve

I would assume you could even use some type L copper pipe and plumb it from the bottom of the tank using a brass connector and run it up to a nice reach level, install valve and then run it back down to a bucket. Should still drain any fluid and would be really easy to open and close, no bending over!

I guess I just showed how lazy I am.

Thought I'd add this to the thread. Though its a water heater from the 1920s and not an air tank I feel they share the same dangerous in many ways.

Last edited by MrTube; 08-30-2012 at 08:30 AM.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote