View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
JoeWay

Default Re: Pressure Plate Fingers pushed in

I don't have an original pressure plate here to look at, so I could be way off. I'm just trying to imagine a scenario that would result in your problem.

It sounds to me as if the fingers have gone over-center. You said you replaced a worn-out trunnion. Could a previous owner have adjusted the pressure plate fingers trying to compensate for the worn trunnion and not knowing how it is supposed to be adjusted? If the adjuster bolts were run way out, then you replaced the trunnion and set the correct pedal free play, the throwout bearing would depress the fingers way beyond the normal range. If the mechanism allows for the fingers to go over-center, your condition would result.

If this is the case, you might be able to recover by prying the fingers back past center one at a time, then adjusting the fingers as has been described here in the past.

Maybe Tom W. or others who are more familiar with the original pressure plate can comment as to whether the fingers can go over-center if depressed to far.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote