Thread: Model A Book
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Model A Book

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Agreed on all points by the responders so far. 'Been there and 'done that. The worst part about changing the timing gear alongside INTERSTATE 80 (!!!!) is trying to get that $%*&^ nut loose that secures the gear to the crankshaft! If the previous owner or your builder used an air hammer to tighten it, you're going to be in a world of hurt trying to get it loose with a hammer and chisel or even with the special adapter socket (that always slips off and skins your knuckles). The last three timing gears I removed for friends and customers had to be heated with a torch to get them loose, which, of course, caused a small fire and a lot of smoke. Thank goodness that was in a garage, and not in the middle of the New Mexican desert. Don't ask how I know this.
I now only use the newer hexhead nut on the camshaft gear out of consideration for the next poor b*stard who will have to remove it alongside some lonesome highway long after I'm gone. He may still curse me for other things I have done to my cars, but not for that!
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote