View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #14
rotorwrench

Default Re: Wet sand blasting??

Some of the turbine engines I've worked on call out the type of cleaning methods that are acceptable for certain parts. Wet grit blast is one but they use a specific grit that is light duty on abrasion or it would ruin the parts. The equipment is specially made for it. Walnut shell, plastic media, and soda media are all common grits for turbine engine parts. Glass media has to be pretty fine to be able to use it. Most of these medias require the parts to be washed and scrubbed well before application of protective coatings or assembly in an engine.

I could see grit blasting on some steel or corrosion resistant steel aircraft parts but not so much on thin aluminum structures. It would ruin things quickly. I've always used stripper to remove paint and primer but it has to be acid based stripper to remove Super Koropon epoxy primers. That was the only thing that would touch it 35-years ago. Cee Bee A-202 was the last one I used but I don't know if it is even available anymore with the modern EPA regulations. They have some newer technology stuff now that might even be better.

A person has to be careful sand blasting thin steel too. They claim that those wet blast rigs won't warp steel but it depends on how thick the skin is and how rough the sand or other media is. Metal that is thin from corrosion could get wavy if blast force is held in one place too long. Sand is harsh blasting media. I've always used glass bead myself.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote