View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 09:26 AM   #9
1928 Sport Coupe

Default Re: I was thinking of changing to 12 volt negative ground.

Tom Endy:
Thanks for the link to the horn rewinding instructions. I have the wire on order.
nkaminar:
The wiper motor that came with the car is a vacuum motor. It was in a box of parts. I am not sure it is correct but it works and I plan to use it if it will fit. I very seldom get my cars out in bad weather, except for the daily drivers. I intend to install LED lights all the way around. My 28 Sport Coupe has LED's.
Bob Bidonde:
I love your charts and diagrams'. I should have some coils on hand. I still wonder about the modern starter drives, I have seen both good and bad about them.
jwmckenzie:
Yes I plan on using the reproduction wire harnesses available. I do plan on making my own turn light harness just like on my 28. I used the bulk wiring and bulk loom from Snyders so it fit in with the other wiring.
Kurt in NJ:
6 volt batteries are hard to find here unless you are willing to take one that has set on the shelf for up to a year or drive to the bigger city's. Some stores do not have them other than special order. I waited 3 days to get a fresh 6 volt Optima in my 28, even than it was 4 months old. I just have an aversion to using a GM alternator in a Ford. I need to compare the dimensions of the Ford alternator and the GM alternator.
FordAADump:
I am still thinking as to 6 volt pos or 12 volt neg. If I can use the Ford alternator I probably will change it. The GM alternator probably will be enough for me to keep it 6 volt. But I am definitely leaning 12 volt. The Power House alt does not interest me. To expensive and parts availability. I want to be able to get parts locally if needed. I also want to be able to put it back to 6 volt pos ground with minimal effort.
My main concern is the starter. I would like to have more information on what starter to chose for 12 volt.
Thanks for all the information
1928 Sport Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote