View Single Post
Old 09-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
Lona

Default Re: Purpose of dual points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
I believe there are two different types of dual point systems for vehicles.
Bare with me, I've never owned one, but I've seen them worked on.

One type is used on (typically) prewar cars: V-16's, V-12's, and some high-end 8's.
One points set and condenser is used for half the cylinders.
These are tricky and complicated to work on, and need special tools.
You can read about how these systems work if you have a pre-war Dykes Automobile Encyclopedia (the Bible of pre-war vehicles). Bring strong glasses!

The second type is typically from the American muscle car era.
With the two points there is an overlap of point open time (and close time), thereby optimizing spark intensity. The two points sets don't open/close together at the same time,

After-market performance systems for Model A's are probably like the second type, I would guess.

So, remember to bare with me on this. Its been many years since I've seem these systems. In fact, if someone is 'sharp' on how these systems work, I'd love to hear it.
My '31 Chrysler with a six cylinder engine has a distributor with dual points. One set for three cylinders and one for the other three. Nothing complex about them and no special tools needed to set them. Just adjust them like you had two three cylinder engines but make sure the timing is correct for each when you adjust them.

Google "dual point ignition timing" There are several good articles on the subject.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote