View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Can this flathead be saved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39wagon View Post
I have a good running '39 flathead that has developed a rust-through hole in the water jacket just below the exhaust manifold's lower bolt on the rear-most outlet. I've read on the Model T site about using the original JB Weld for this kind of problem and also about using a High Temp Belzona epoxy on the Cummins diesel site for patching in these kinds of situations. Do any of the Early V8 community have any PERSONALLY PROVEN solutions to fix these kinds of problems that does not involve using a torch? It's a nice engine and I'd really like to save it. Thanks.
Yes. Similar issue on a 59L block. Used Belzona 1212 epoxy. My rebuilder made some spatula like tools to get the epoxy inside the water jacket in the block first and then let that cure. Did another pass over the area on the outside as well.

Belzona is expensive, but #1212 is designed to be used in less than surgically cleaned areas which your block will be.

Look up Belzona. They are the only epoxy approved to be used on Caterpillar motors, so it's got to be good stuff. It can be tough to get a hold someone at Belzona, but they have regional field reps that will sell it to you.

The guy I dealt with offered to help with repair. LOL!
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)