View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #167
frnkeore

Default Re: The forgotten 1960 Fords

Those pictures show "Business as Usual". Scrapers only care about the price of steel per ton.

In the sixty's, I was a mechanic in Orange Co. Not only that but, it was the time that I owned MY '60 Ford. We had a small wrecking yard (about 1 acre), for our tow service (AAA) and we where on the police tow list also so, we had a lot cars coming in some never left on their wheels. There was ONLY so much room! I saw a lot of cars get scraped. They would pull the tires/wheels, engine, trans and gas tank then, crush the top, stack them on our 2 1/2 ton flat bed and haul them to Long Beach, CA to the scrape yard.

I would have loved to have a lot of them (especially a cherry 49 Ford business coupe) but, where was I going to put them? The one that I did save was a '65 Mustang 2+2, with a factory 271 HP engine. That was in '69, I paid my boss $600 for it.

The owner was in his 40's at that time and what we would have called fantastic cars where worth about $100. He wouldn't have had the room to keep them (even if he wanted) as he would have to have much more property to even sell them as "junkers" for $100, EVEN if people would have wanted them. Imagine the property tax that would have had to be paid (in OC) to keep them, not to mention the extra property, itself, until they became classic and desirable, if he would have lived that long, to save them for us.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote