View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
hardtimes

Default Re: bearing insert identification help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Federal Mogul 2531 crosses to a CAT 8N8226 off highway truck rod bearing...what are you working on ?
Hey Railcarmover,
Well, I happen to 'fall into' a B block, more specifically a newly rebuilt B block which was made into a new short block and put on the shelf decades ago. Owner, auto shop teacher/high school, died about ten yrs ago and son-in -law selling off his FIL's extensive model a collection. I thought that I'd 'paid enough' for what I got....and told the gentleman that 'I don't need another block', as I loaded stuff on my vehicle. He said, well I don't want it left here, so take it with the other stuff paid for !
Then I took a closer look at the block and realized that I'd been making a mistake, if I passed on it and didn't get it. The cross hatch shown brightly yet in the cylinders ! New pistons, timing gears and I thought a 'plain' B/C crank. This was just prior to New Year. Today , I worked it all day while it rained here !! Found new standard pistons, cam looks to have different than B grind; 1.8 intakes; ported and bowls blended; new dist/cam gear; excellent C head and side plate drilled for fitting full pressure. Perfect B pan that has been prepared so that a V8 trans set up can be used easily with adaptor. And, when I took off bearing caps..viola....drilled C crank with rod and main inserts and #1 and #2 custom main caps !! So, trying to decide what to do with an extra improved B short block...dilemma, eh !

So, asking about rod bearing insert info first, as that's what I got off. Mabe main caps tomorrow. Good info to have with block.

Question for you. I'm familiar with warming up B blocks. This guy left the rod dippers on the caps, rather than take them off. That a bit unusual, isn't it , with a full pressure system

Thank you much for that great bearing info and cross reference ! That will definitely be put with block info.

Last edited by hardtimes; 01-09-2018 at 10:43 PM. Reason: ..................
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote