View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 09:50 PM   #50
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: Noise in my new 29 a engin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball73 View Post
well I probably found a lot of my noise! was planning on rebuilding the transmission this winter, so I got started on it a few days ago! took the top shift tower off & felt pretty good on what I am seeing! got the transmission out & apart & found the u-joint is toast! I have never seen one worn as bad as this one. the next thing I find is you can slide the u-joint forward & back just about 1/2"! who ever was the last one was that was in there had put a oversized lock washer & a soft iron flat washer to hold the u-joint on the out put gear! I have no idea how it even stayed on there, the washer was bent back enough I could almost remove the u-joint without removing the bolt! not quite but almost. can't weight to get it to gather & see what changes!
In your first post, you mentioned removing the spark wires one at a time, however that didn’t change the sound of the engine. Was the “sound” there when you weren’t moving? If so, then it seems like a second problem, other than a bad u joint. ???
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote