View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
RooDog

Default Re: 67 Falcon power steering question

FoxFire.
I had a 67 Fairlane, mechanically the same as your Falcon, in the same situation when I bought it. Someone had added the PS valve and ram assembly to the standard steering box. As previously mentioned, the box ratios are different so the wheel feel was way too easy. I got the correct PS box from a parts car and made things right with the correct 16:1 stearing gear. Now here's the kicker: The manual box has a long worm shaft, like all the way to the steering wheel, no rag joint and the column clamps to the box. The PS box just has a stub worm shaft splined to a rag coupler and the column and wheel, etc are attached to the dash and firewall. So to do a correct conversion you need everything from the steering wheel spline/nut to the pitman arm. On mine I installed the correct 16:1 box and then used a tilt column from a '67 Mustang for comfort and convienance. It's all quite simple and easy if you got enough pieces and parts....Best wishes.....RooDog
PS: Mine had a floor shift, if you have 3 on the tree, I don't know what to tell you .....
RooDog is offline   Reply With Quote