Thread: Psi
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 02:10 AM   #13
frnkeore

Default Re: Psi

Tires can be complicated but, in general, 32 psi, will be safe in most cases, unless your car or truck, is pretty heavy. By that, I mean 5000+ lb.

A picture of your side wall marking, will give the info, to use. At 52 lb, it sounds like it would be a 6 ply rating (C) and more of a truck tire. Most car tires are 44 lb or less. My trailer tires are 14 ply (G) rating and are about 120 psi. Ply rating and load rating are different (the numbers in the examples below). Higher ply ratings mean the tire can take more pressure and therefore more load, because of it's higher pressure.

Look at the size marking, a example would be 215/60/16 62P (62 = 584 lb per tire) (p = 93 mph). 215/60/16 100V would be, 100 = 1800 lb per tire and V = 149 mph. The numbers and letters are independent of each other so, you could have any number and letter combination, like 62V. The letters go as high as Z (186 mph)

Those figures will be at the rated tire pressure on the sidewall. There is a chart that will tell you the pressure you need for the load you have, below those figures and a min pressure you should use.

When I raced, with a 1150 lb car (including me), with bias ply tires and 60% of the weight on the rear, I ran max pressures of 12 lb front and 20 lb rear, at speeds to 150 mph and corners like Riversides turn #9 at 130-140 mph. My last race car was 850 lb, with me in it and the tire pressures were max 10 lb, all round. Both cold pressure. Race tires are made to work in the 160 - 210f range. At 220+ they blister and at some point above that, they come apart.

Tire failures come from tire flex and that causes heat, after about 250F, rubber starts to lose it's strength and no longer holds things together and that is when the tread and side walls fail. Ever put your hand on a blown out tire? That said, if the tire is constructed and molded, properly. Most are these days. Firestone was horrible, in the '60's and maybe, until the Japanese bought them. I stopped buying them at that time.

Generally, I run 24 - 26 on a 2500 lb car (240SX) and 28 - 30 on my Mercury Marque. I do that for better traction.

If your ever in doubt about the pressure your running, drive for about 20 min, stop and feel the sidewalls, if there warm to the touch they need more pressure. If they are hot, slow down and increase pressure, ASAP!

I hope I've helped, rather than confuse. I can tell you more, with a picture of the markings.

Last edited by frnkeore; 09-30-2019 at 02:23 AM.
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote