View Single Post
Old 07-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Mark's 37

Default Re: How do I measure a small piston to head clearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebell View Post
Hi guys I have a block with Ross 3 5/16" pistons. I have a pair of C7RA alluminium heads, which have been faced to get a good surface. If I put a head on loose with no gasket it rocks on the piston. If I put a used gasket on with the head and just hand nipped down on 4 studs, the engine turns without any noticeable contact. I'm guessing I have about )0.020" P. to H. clearance on this.
What is the best way to check a small clearance like this? and how do I remove the small amount of metal from the heads? Details are good.
I was hoping not have to remove metal from the heads.
Thanks in advance.
Red.
I would get some Playdough from the toy store and put a layer over the piston then install the head with a good gasket and slowly rotate the engine a few revolutions by hand, not with the starter. If the engine comes to a halt when turning it...stop. Don't force it as you don't have enough clearance. Then remove the head and peel the Playdough off and measure the thinest parts with a digital micrometer. Then you will be sure of the clearance. Removing metal (milling) from the heads will decrease the piston to head clearance. Using a thicker head gasket could help.

http://www.flatheadv8.org/clayhead.htm

Last edited by Mark's 37; 07-01-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Mark's 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)