View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
tubman

Default Odd old transistor ignition setup

I had this thread on the H.A.M.B. and several folks the seemed to think it might be better here, where "Bubba" might see it. I was originally going to send "Bubba" a PM, but with the hassle of setting up an album for some unimportant pictures, I though a regular thread may be better. Plus, there are a lot of guys with a lot of experience and knowledge on here who might know something.

I got the following setup in a box of parts that came along with a '51 Olds Rocket I bought. These two pieces seem to match, and I think they are an early (1960's) transistorized ignition. The coil is very similar to a Mallory "Flashfire" coil except it doesn't have the stylized "M" on it that all of my other "FlashFire"'s do.

Does anybody have one of these and/or knows how they are connected? There are no labels on anything. I have "ohmed out" the terminals on the red heat sink with the transistor. There are between 20 and 120 ohms between the various combinations of those terminals, but I can't make heads or tails out of it. I don't know if I'd run the thing, but I'd sure like to see if it works.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1267.jpg (83.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0880.jpg (29.0 KB, 49 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote