View Single Post
Old 09-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Rear Axle Shock Mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I seem to remember that the ones I had "back in the day" had larger holes in the brackets to accommodate internally threaded pieces with a hex head that screwed on to the original square headed bolts
There were two styles of bolt on shock mounts. The ones you are remembering were folded plate steel with a shock stud welded to the bottom end. These were equal length.

The bolts for this style were complicated. If I recall correctly, they were stepped and had a series of bushings that slipped into the holes of the plate steel mounts.

The forged ones were of unequal length and the long one is often sectioned to make them equal.

The bolts for the forged ones (as I mentioned in my post above) are just like the flat, square headed bolts Ford used for backing plates, just longer so they mount the shock bracket.

As I mentioned, it took me a year of checking in with various NOS parts vendors if they had them. Jeff Titus found some NOS ones and was willing to part with them.

Not sure why I was so obsessed about using the correct Ford bolts, but long bolts would work as well.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote