View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 01:23 AM   #3
40 Deluxe

Default Re: Backfire or popping when going down hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP31 View Post
I am having an issue with what sounds like popping/backfire in the exhaust when traveling down the road and letting off the gas when going down hill. I have just set the points and confirmed the timing is correct. Any thoughts on what else to check. I have only about 250 miles since engine rebuild. I have a standard head and did have the top of the block milled flat. I do not know how many times this has been done on this block but wondering if this could be the cause.

Thanks in andante for your input.
"confirmed the timing is correct." Since the timing is set by the "spark" (or timing) lever, how do you know when the timing is correct? Is it with the lever at 9 o'clock? 8 o'clock? somewhere else? How many degrees BTDC is the timing with the lever at 9 o'clock, for example? Very, very few drivers know what the timing actually is with the lever at their favorite position.
When going down hill, do you retard the timing (lever up)? This will make it pop! When I was a teenager, this was a favorite trick going downhill. Throw the spark lever up, close the GAV, and see how many pops it would make. A classmate bragged that his Friend's A "would pop 40 times going down a hill!".
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote