View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #37
Hoop

Default Re: 1935-36 pickup restoration book

" ... we are dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all Ford Motor Company vehicles built between 1932 and 1953." Early Ford V8 Club

TJ posted, "I don't know the specifics of why this project was stopped, but the V-8 Club has to consider projects on a cost -benefit analysis. Even though the Club is non-profit the BOD has an obligation to be frugal with the Club's money. Losing money on a project that may only benefit a few members is not good management of members money. I suspect that they looked at this project for some time and discovered that by the time the book was completed in draft, taken to a desktop publisher, and then to the printer, these related costs would far exceed the amount of projected sales. I would bet if they thought the project would break even on cost vs sales they would have proceeded. Breaking even is an option, losing money is not. It's better to stop a project than to move forward and lose more money."

Read it again and think about it.

A club that is DEDICATED to "restoration and preservation" is not willing (although we don't know the "specifics") to SPEND money without the prospect of "breaking even" in order to document a class of vehicles for posterity ...

Horse hockey. (TJ, aimed at your theory, not at you.)

A whole helluva lot of us spend a lot of money restoring and preserving early Fords without expecting to break even. Some things cost money/time and are worth doing. (Consider what Jerry and Lawson have already spent on the book, and I doubt they are expecting any money in return.)

The Early Ford V8 Club should take on the project ... BECAUSE that's what they claim they are dedicated to doing. I once asked a local architect neighbor why the city built such an over-the-top grand library costing a fortune. He replied, "Because beautiful buildings should be built."

Whether or not I agree with the cost of the library, there are some things that are "built" because they should be.

The Club needs to find a way to build this book ... or drop the "dedicated" nonsense.

Last edited by Hoop; 11-29-2011 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote