View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #16
tubman

Default Re: My "new" 260 inch Merc is a BEAST!

First of all, congratulations on you new engine; it's good to hear that it runs so well. Here's something else to check, since you are running a 2GV. I am running one on the 255" Merc in my '51 Ford with the usual go-fast goodies (reworked heads, a Mallory dual point and Fenton headers). I too, was extremely impressed with the increase in performance over the somewhat tired original engine I replaced and had a pretty good time all summer. When it started getting a little chilly last fall, I decided to adjust the automatic choke to work a little better. During this exercise, I discovered that the throttle linkage was not opening all of the way! After messing with it for a while, I realized that the basic geometry of the Ford linkage is not correct with a 2G, which caused the problem. I could get it adjusted to open the throttle all of the way, but that resulted in an idle speed of around 2000 rpm. I thought, "What the hell, let's try it". I took it out on the county road in front of my shop, and WOW!, what a difference! The increase in performance was impressive!

I left for the winter shortly after that, and didn't have a chance to correct the problem (I did adjust it back for a reasonable idle speed.) Next spring, I am going to extend the throttle lever on the firewall to give me a longer stroke so that the throttle will open all the way with a decent idle.

If you haven't already, check to make sure your carb is opening all of the way.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote