View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Flathead Overbore/Size Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Just my thoughts, what is really being gained by going to the max. over-bore or longer stroke?
Who are Ya' going to beat?

In today's world there are 4 cyl. cars with half the displacement that'll blow your doors off.
The most I care to go is the next clean-up/over-bore and drive it till the next one (if I'm still around) Don't care to impress anyone.
It's that close to asking why mess with flatheads at all when there are technically more advanced car/trucks out there? Just about any vechile after the mid-50s has better everything (engines, performance, brakes, transmissions, rear axles, etc). You build/drive flatheads for the love of the nostalgia of bygone years. A hoped up flathead is not going to "beat" or out perform much on anything, that is not the point. It cost more to get much less performance wise out of a flathead, it's not because it is going to out perform something else on the street, it is for the love of the flathead itself and the love of improving the performance of the flathead just because.

I spent a ton of time and money building up a quick-change rear end in mid-fifties style. I'm not racing, I don't need the capability to change gears, I would never be able to get enough power out of a flathead to break it and there are a ton of later model rear axles that would swap in for much less expense and effort. So why do it? Because I like it, I think it is cool, I have always wanted to build one and now I can.

I want an early to mid to mid-fifties Hot Rod, that includes as much performance as I can get out of a flathead (big bore and stroke) and all the tricks I can muster up. And I wanted that quick-change in the back! I have liked them from the time I first knew what a car was and I still do. I have the time and the money!!

Last edited by JSeery; 10-31-2018 at 02:28 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote