View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
Patrick L.

Default Re: Why Grease should not be used in a Steering Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You may be correct but I am pretty sure the S/B makes reference at least once to the 600W as being the viscosity. The sentence was something like "the gearbox must use a lube equal to 600W.". It has been argued over and over and I don't know the answer, but I think the compelling argument has always been if 600W was a trade-name and not a viscosity, why wouldn't the Ford engineers have specified the necessary viscosity since '600W' was not Ford's own tradename?

Thanks for the response. This certainly is confusing and has been batted about for decades. Maybe I'm wrong, certainly won't be the first time. But, I thought the general consensus was 600W was a designation.

I've tried them all in the transmissions. I used what was said to be 600 weight and found it too heavy, 90 weight I felt was a bit light but doable.

As a kid we always used a barrel of 140 weight for everything until things changed to 90 weight. [ then we needed 2 barrels hanging around]

Its also my understanding that the grease fitting on the steering box was for the use of heavy oil [600W] pumped thru a grease gun. We always kept a gun full of 140 to top things off. Its easy to see why fellas would pump that box full of grease though.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote