Thread: LED Headlights
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #31
Jim/GA

Default Re: LED Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post

<snip>

3. Despite the claims, I don't believe these bulbs are compatible with vehicles manufactured before March 1929. FSB p.573 lists the authorized bulbs available at the time, and clearly states that fact. Fig.738, p.362 shows an H-type lamp with a later reflector installed, and illustrates the reason why - the socket contacts are vertical.
I agree. I alluded to this change in my description, but it is better to be direct about it: These LED bulbs are not going to work properly in original Model A headlights that are from all of 1928 to ~March, 1929, the ones with the fluted lenses and the slightly smaller diameter connector on the bottom of the headlight bucket.

The connector is smaller because they only ran 2 wires, not 3, up into the headlights in those early models (driving light and parking light). Later they made the driving lights be Low and High (and kept Parking, if not on the cowls) -- 3 wires.

The switch to Low and High driving lights was made by Ford in response to several states enforcing a law that required the headlights to be dipped down at oncoming traffic, to prevent dazzle of the other driver by the bright lights.

Back in the time, automobile headlights were regularly checked in these states at night at temporary checkpoints that were setup to catch people that were a nuisance/dangerous to other drivers. It was that bad. As others have noted, most (if not all) states have now dropped the inspection of headlight aim because Detroit has done a better job of getting them right on modern cars.

I am concerned that these LEDs will produce unacceptable dazzle to oncoming drivers when installed in a Model A. As the driver of the car, it won't bother you, but it will be a nuisance to the others (and could cause an accident -- if the other driver is blinded by you, they may accidentally drive into you or someone else).

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote