Thread: LED Headlights
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #22
Benson

Default Re: LED Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406CID View Post
I was concerned about this early in the design too. It was pointed out to me that the 21/21 - 32/50 bulbs emit like an isotropic emitter (light in all directions). It is brighter up and down than side to side, but light is emitted in all directions from the original bulbs. This means on your incandescents and original reflectors, light goes down to the bottom of the parabolic reflector and reflects up somewhat. When you add the high beam, you simply add more light as the two filaments emit from the same location (not two very different locations like a modern day halogen). Most of the bulbs investigated even had a common point on one side, so the filaments were colocated.

The LED headlight was painstakingly designed to emulate what is available for us to use as a bulb now (except brighter and whiter). So, like the bulb, all 16 emitters are active at the same time, in the same place as the filaments. When you switch from low to high, it goes from reduced output to maximum output to emulate the incandescent bulb.

If these LEDs work as described then it sounds to me that there is no shift in the beam to light up further down the road like "real high beams".

Sounds like all that happens is that the "lower beam" just gets brighter which might work for a car that never goes faster than 40 MPH.

The video shows that this is what happens with the LED bulbs installed there is no shift of the beam, it just gets brighter.

But then what is the point or need for high beams?

Last edited by Benson; 01-27-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)