View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 10:39 PM   #23
Tinker

Default Re: About to start a flathead V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintrex View Post
Ok, so to even get close to a point where I could think of giving this motor a twirl I have to take care of the distributor which we talked about already. The radiator hoses are shredded and even look to be somewhat charred. So, on that note has anyone used any particular kit that has worked well or are flex hoses pretty much the "go to". I measured it at approximately 25" so they are fairly long.

Next, distributor cap and wire sets...? I would like to know what has worked well for others so I don't waste funds...

Eventually I would like to gravitate towards 12v but if that isn't recommended please also advise...

Were do you want to be?

Lot's to think about when going through a motor. Hows your compression or bearings? Not even thinking about brakes and stopping...

If you just want to get up and running. Stay 6v and get the systems that are there already clean and ready to run. Most likely it'll run for a few or 70 more years. Burnouts excluded.

Most of the general supply places have hoses and dizzy parts.

If you know where you want to be electronically and feel you know what you want out of the engine. You can make a plan.

If you want to have fun driving it as is... clean the oil pan, block, rad, and send the coil and dizzy off to skip and bubba. Chase or replace wire harnesses as needed.

If you want to go whole hog. Start talking to rebuilders and buying parts.

I picked up a 36 coupe 5yrs ago that needed everything to complete it. But I replaced a burnt exhaust valve for $7 (compression good outside that cylinder, oil pressure nice), recored the radiator, replaced all the electric, rebuilt the coil (skip), did the dizzy (bubba), and went through the rest of it. Been driving it ever since. Took about 6 months to be road worthy. It's no luxury air ride deal or tire burner, but I like it.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-20-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote