View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 AM   #30
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: How Fast Will It Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmws View Post
I would think that if valve float didn't limit the RPM before 3000 the next thing to go would be the crank. I'm not worried about the babbitt. But there is a lot of weight reversing direction twice a revolution. I'm talking about an engine right off the assembly line, not a modern rendition. But your the expert on these engines. I just feel that Henry never intended for them to be turning that high on a regular basis.

Again, it seems like we have been thru this a million times, and while Bob has changed the verbiage thus IMO screwing up this entire poll, the original question was what speed can a stock engine's babbitt reliably withstand. Over ½ of the voters believe they were only capable of 50 MPH which always seems to bring an argument.

While I doubt this will change anyone's mind, let's see if we can logically get to the bottom of this discussing facts and not fabricated opinions which this site seems to always have many of. If as you say that Henry never intended for them to be driven that fast, then why did he publish in his Sales Literature that he did?? Matter of fact, this statement was made well into the Model-A production, ...so if there was any doubt or claims of misinformation, he had 2 years of prior production to retract his claim.

For all the naysayers, I have enclosed a page below right out of the 1930 Ford Model-A Sales Manual. Please read the highlighted paragraph from that literature and then tell us where it says anything about needing overdrives, or a high compression head, or 16" tires or any of the other 'items required for touring' nonsense to be able to drive a Model-A safely & reliably at 60 mph. So if Ford advertised it could run safely and reliably at 55-65 MPH --or even at greater speeds, surely to goodness if someone wants to claim their Model-A is restored, then it should capably be able to duplicate the speeds as when it was new.

...and for the over 50% who voted that a Model-A engine when new was only capably of operating reliably at 50 mph or under, please tell the ones of us that voted for 55 mph or faster where we are wrong.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPH_Advertisement.jpg (93.2 KB, 201 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote