View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #13
drolston

Default Re: ‘36 LB. temp ranges, thermostats?

How to get the most cooling from a probably too small radiator?

Chemistry first: a 50/50 solution of ethylene glycol/water is 17% less efficient at absorbing/transferring heat than plain water. That is huge. I believe that is a root cause of overheating in cars that were designed to run with plain water and alcohol as the antifreeze. Then physics: surface tension of water effects the contact of cooling water with the engine surfaces, allowing tiny bubbles to form at the surface, which insulates the surface and slows heat transfer from metal to coolant.

I Williamsburg the temperature rarely gets to single digits, and not for very long. So I use 20/80 antifreeze solution. The cooling system chemical protection is preserved, and it protects from freezing down to about 15 degrees. I also add two bottles of Redline Water Wetter (24 oz), which actually works against the surface bubbles.

This combination keeps my hot headed flatty below 200 degrees, idling on hot days.

Plain (distilled) water (0/100) and WW would be even better, but you would need to add something for corrosion and water pumps.

Maybe give this a try and report on results? About $30 versus $800 for the Walker solution.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote