View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #20
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Alternator or not?

My mostly original '35 fordor (Avatar) had 41k miles on the odometer when I bought it in 2007. I believe the generator was the original, installed at the factory, and it has what appears to be an original cutout that's been converted to an electronic regulator, either by adding a diode, or possibly soild state components by Fun Projects. This car now has 76k miles on OD (including the generator) and the only maintenance I've done is oil the front and rear bearings, check brush length & commutator surface, and occasionally adjust third brush. Maybe I should consider replacing brushes as Richard suggests, but that hasn't appeared necessary based on their existing length. I've also used an Optima 6V Red Top battery since '07, and replaced the fan belt and set its tension correctly last Sept/Oct with a new Gates industrial belt, 21/32" wide by 57" in circumference, pn (B54) from NAPA. This belt fits and works perfectly on stock '35-'36 Ford pass cars and light comm. vehicles, and possibly on some earlier year FH V-8 vehicles. '37's and later would use a different circumference belt due to the fact that the generator mounts lower on those year intake manifolds.

PS....to Ol' Ron's point.....I carry a known to be good generator, cutout/regulator, brushes, fan belt, and just about anything else imaginable in my spare parts bin on long distance trips/tours.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-26-2020 at 11:35 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote