View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #42
Dennis (EV8G)

Default Re: The Official '32-'34 Truck Thread

This is my '32. I'm 30 years old at the moment and my father, Richard, gave it to me 28 years ago. Evidently I was scared of it because the 4cyl engine vibrated and I didn't like that. To help warm me up to the truck my Dad told me it was mine and I never had another problem with it, lol.

My Dad purchased it in 1981 from an ad in the paper. A man purchased Jim Lattin's Hi-Grade Plating shop in Pomona, Ca and this truck was part of the deal. The new owner had no use for it, so he put it up for sale. Mechanically, the poor thing was worn out so in the early '80s my Dad went through it and rebuild the front suspension, replaced the rear axle with a good used 3.78 unit and had his good friend Chris Wickersham rebuilt the 4cyl engine and B trans. He also added 16" Kelseys and 600-16 Firestones.

The truck remained in this state until 1995. I had turned 15 and before I got my license and could drive it I wanted to make some basic changes. My Dad and I installed a new dropped axle, reverse eye spring, de-arched rear spring, 3.54 rear axle, 46-48 hydraulic brakes / drums and he came up with what would be the prototype for our "World Famous" (haha) '32 bolt-on master cylinder kit. I also replaced the 600-16's with new Firestone 4.50-16 front and 700-16 rear tires.

Today the truck remains nearly identicle to it's '95 re-do except that I have replaced the front tires with 600-16s and added a Pete Eastwood dropped headlight bar. The external cosmetics remain the same as when it was purchased in '81. I have been mentally toying with the idea of putting the suspension back to original and putting the stock 18" wheels back on. Since I have my T-V8 hotrod now I no longer feel the need to modify this one and am starting to feel that it deserves to be put back to original.

This is a very early '32 with a January production and has features that pre-dates V8 production, such as the k-member does not have holes to mount the V8 stabilizer rods. The flywheel housing number also still matches the frame.