View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #17
Ziggster

Default Re: RTH - Crankshaft bearing sizesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
He just bought the wrong year bearings . . . nothing special about your situation, you just need the 39-48 style rear main. All he had to do is look at the bearing tang width in the block and cap - to know he had the wrong one.

IMHO: Since he (or the crank grinder) bought the wrong bearings in the first place, he should be the one who is buying the replacement rear main.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no 90HP crankshaft that would have EVER used the bearings the crank grinder supplied . . . so hopefully they're not making some claim along that line. The 49-53 engines all used the 'new' bearing you took pictures of - regardless of displacement or HP ratings.
This makes more sense, since I mentioned that he already stated the other C59/69? engine was the same, but he stated it had a "100 Hp" crank meaning it had an additional oil passage gallery. He also mentioned that the 100 Hp cranks used the older style "spinning" con rod bearings if I understood him correctly. I find all this a bit confusing as he also mentioned the "relieved" blocks were referred to as "flatheads" and the "non-relieved" blocks were referred to as "L" heads. My block has the "factory" relief cut into the block, whereas another C59/69/59A block he had did not, as well as another 8BA block he had. I can't remember if the other "100 Hp" block had the factory relief. Is there a definitive flathead engine rebuilding book that goes into this detail ?
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote