View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: BackFlushing Radiator and Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdeb View Post
Water/soda treatment: Please explain. How much baking soda to three gallons of wat soda to three gallons of water?

Drained my system. Filled with three gallons white vinegar. Ran a couple of hours. Flushed with water. Refilled with distilled.

Water pump now dripping. Going to try repacking first. Grease the back fitting with water pump grease. Any suggestions short of replacing pump?

Do you favor the original style packing? The teflon? The graphite foil?
After treating with anything acidic (White vinegar, muriatic acid, etc.), neutralize the remnants of they acid in the cooling system with water/baking soda. Flush/backflush thoroughly a couple of times with water. Then use about a cup of baking soda/water mix. Run it in the A for a couple of days, then flush/backflush thoroughly. Repeat the water baking/soda treatment one more time.

Yes, the white vinegar does remove the grease/oil. Most of the time your pump will leak afterwards. You can try greasing it, do not over do it, only enough is needed to fill the packing nut, typically only a very partial pump on the grease gun. To be thorough repack the lead. If using the "washer" style packing, use two, and install so the split in the washers do not align.
Also add some grease to the washers. Usually the flush will not damage the pump, it is just the grease is part of the sealing of the shaft.

When tightening the packing nut down, only tighten enough to stop the shaft from dripping/leaking, do not over tighten. Keep an eye on it, tighten as necessary. Run water/rust inhibitor coolant until you are happy with the pump being sealed, then switch over to 50/50 green antifreeze if that is what you want.

Sorry I can not comment on which type of packing to use. I decided to run antifreeze, and at that time decided to run a leakless water pump to reduce the chances of getting antifreeze in the engine bay and possibly through the hood louvers and onto exterior paint.

I did get improvement performing the flushing/backflushing of the radiator/block/head, etc. However ended up replacing the radiator - wlth the help of Ford Barn discovered my problem was having an aftermarket 2 row core radiator that did not have enough cooling capacity.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote