View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #14
Joe K

Default Re: Rebuilt Steering Box Adjustment Question

In this jurisdiction, if it looks like a car then its a car. And you can't drive a horse & wagon without a car registration. And even your horse & wagon has to pass the emissions test. Ka-ching. Ka-ching. Ka-ching. (I don't think the probe goes up the equine posterior - rather the fee is paid and the test is considered done and passing.)

Now sensibility would dictate that one would want to weld on anything steering related in full confidence of the result. Welds can be stronger than the parent metal - if the welder knows what he is doing.

I dare say here, if your weld repair to the steering column is covered by the light switch/escutcheon, then nobody knows the wiser and a permit is issued.

I am reminded the last time my Model A was actually inspected here in Cow Hampshire

The front guy looks at the Model A and asks "Can that thing go up on a lift?"

I replied in the affirmative.

Front guy then delegates the job to one of the "junior" mechanics. Junior mechanic is unsure how to actually inspect mechanical brakes. "How do I inspect this?" he says to his boss.

"Just put it up on the lift and look for anything loose. If you find it let me know. Meanwhile take an appreciation of how automobiles USED to be built" What started as a shake-down by the state turned into an education lesson for an up and coming mechanic.

There was no problem with the inspection - of course.

Joe K

Ka-ching.

Last edited by Joe K; 05-11-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote