View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Detroit Flathead

Default Flathead 8BA Wiring Help - Temporary Start Up

I'm in need of the expertise you guys have. Electrical is not my strong suit, and I've never done what I am trying to do. I've done some searches, but I haven't found what I need. I just want to start up my 8BA engine while it sits in the frame. Here's what I have: An 8BA bolted in the frame, attached to a Mercomatic. I have a newly rebuilt starter, the original 6V coil (with BAT and DIST terminals) and distributor, a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor, a 12V generator, and a 12V battery. Radiator is hooked up too. I'm in the process of doing a 6 volt to 12 volt conversion as I put the car together. I tried wiring this up today, temporarily to turn it over, and I had no luck, other than melting part of the battery post. Can someone spell it out for me? Tell me exactly how to wire this thing temporarily to run it for a few minutes? What wire starts where and goes where? Wire gauge? Feel free to draw a picture or explain it like I was 6 years old. For what it's worth, I plan on getting a 12V coil and Bubba distributor, but I haven't yet.
Detroit Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote