View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
Joe K

Default Re: Engine Serial Numbers as VIN

In Cow Hampshire one does not need a title to sell or register a car WITHIN STATE more than 10 years old.

My 1930 AA Chassis (with 26K original miles) was sold to a buyer in Texas - and part of the deal was I would provide a NH Title for it - which would speed immeasurably his getting a replacement title in Texas.

Getting a replacement title in New Hampshire is a simple matter of filling out a form - waiting for up to six weeks for a title search to be done based on your submitted VID, and then having an officer of the court (local Police Officer) "verify" the VID.

She called (woman officer) looking for an appointment to do the verification. "Come on over now if you want" I said. A cruiser backed into my driveway a few minutes later.

She was very thorough. She did ask me where the number was located. "Every antique car is different" she confessed. At my suggestion she looked at both the engine number AND the frame number (which were identical) using a drop light held at different angles. The numbers I would consider "better than average" based on how they appeared. She did ask me what I considered to be the number based on what I saw. I think she was verifying both her eyes AND mine lest there be any disagreement which might hold up paperwork. I suggested a "rubbing" of the engine number just to be sure - which I did for her. We both read the engine rubbing to the same number conclusion.

And that engine number became the number. A few weeks later I had the NH replacement title which I forwarded to the buyer in Texas (and got my $150 withheld from the price as that is what he thought it would cost him to process a Texas replacement title.)

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 06-08-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote