View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
Joe K

Default Re: Engine Serial Numbers as VIN

Solutions to this have varied. Some grind down the pad and re-stamp the old numbers. Some attempt to raise the body and get officialdom to accept the frame number as the VID ("VID Confirmation" its called here in Cow Hampshire and they send an officer to your house.)

Some make an aluminum plate showing the removed engine number (similar to VID attachments found below the windshield on modern cars) and attach it with pop rivets just below the "Ford Motor Company" plate on the firewall.

The chassis number is probably the hardest to do and the least likely to stick officially. Its not like the number can be confirmed at any sale or transaction - or even a car accident/insurance claim.

I would give the pop rivet plate a try. You don't have to say you put the plate there yourself. Or that it even matches the chassis number (MANY Model As are on their second or third engines and officialdom didn't pay that much attention until car title became an issue. )

Here in Cow Hampshire I still use the chassis number and have a blank engine - but I have not sold the car or had an accident with it.

Joe K