View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #13
A bones

Default Re: maaco paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ View Post
Each Maaco will be different, and next month it may change, the local Maaco here has a good paint sprayer, but bad tapers this month
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
The quality at MAACO varies tremendously because they are a franchise. When I needed my truck painted I went over to look at the cars coming out of their shop here, and was astounded. One DD-type car they'd just painted for $600 had been masked by a blind man, if at all. Orange peel, fisheyes, you name it. I would be surprised if they'd even washed the car first. Their more expensive packages weren't much better. But since then another MAACO opened across town, and the work coming out of that shop looks really good for the price. It all depends on the guy holding the gun, and that can vary month-to-month.

As mentioned, at the low end you aren't going to get good materials from anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
Materials for a quality paint job can cost $400 not counting the labor. If you want a Maaco paint job to be half good, you have to do a lot of the work yourself. Remove as much chrome and trim as you can and sand the old paint good with 320 grit sand paper and wash the car down good with dishwashing soap to remove the grit and old wax. Usually Maaco painters are fairly good. Who else gets to paint 5 or 6 cars a day?
It really pays to know the shop owner and manager. Watch the work come and go. Do what you can for prep and let it be known you'll pay for what's needed, but have no interest in short cuts. As far as just relying on a Name walking in and dropping off your keys, there will be disappointments.