Thread: Help please
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
MALAK

Default Re: Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
The head gaskets don't usually fail between 2 & 3, there's a lot of meat there.
True that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
There was discussion in a thread here a while ago as to whether it is even possible for a backfire to happen through the carby. Some argued that a BACK fire would only be the explosion of unburnt gasses in the exhaust (ie, out of the back of the engine) and that a "cough" through the carby would be a FORWARD fire. I thought it an acedemic difference but it would at least be more accurate and avoid misunderstandings.
This post reminded me of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V4F View Post
back fires occasionally thru carb
Interesting.
If we consider the fuel/air mix entering the cylinder as Forward flow wouldn't a reversal of that flow be considered a Back fire and an explosion in the exhaust, which flows the same direction as the exhaust, be considered a Forward fire? Or, in this discussion, were they looking at it from a perspective view? That is the intake (carb) is ahead of the exhaust and therefore Forward?
Personally, to avoid misunderstandings, when discussing these sorts of things I think the term backfire is appropriate but should be delineated as the OP said "back fires occasionally thru carb". No ambiguity there. At least in my mind.
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote