View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 05:19 AM   #8
Rob Doe

Default Re: Carb questions and thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Well I know the carb on my A is too rich, however when I lean it out the engine stalls when coming to a stop. I think the cure is to turn up the idle but then we have high rpms and this makes it more difficult to shift with zero grinding, especially when shifting into first from neutral. I believe there is a two bowl system one for idling and one for cruising, does this come into play and is there an easy answer. Thaks
I just spent several weeks sorting out a car that is new to me. A couple days ago, as I was driving, it died rounding a corner. After a restart, it tried to die at the next few stop signs. I raised the idle on the steering column to limp home.

The new gasket I had placed between the carb to manifold attachment point had loosened. I had heard a slight squeal when the car started too, which will be a warning sign for me in the future. The squeal was intermittent and is now gone.

A 1/2" wrench and a couple turns on the bolts that hold the carburetor on resolved this issue.

I have read that many owners over tighten the carb attachment bolts and warp or crack the flange. (Zenith carb) As a rookie Model A mechanic, the question is often, "Without a torque spec, how tight is tight enough?"

Last edited by Rob Doe; 05-25-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote