Thread: Leaky Rad
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 05:55 AM   #1
Hoogah

Default Leaky Rad

I'm writing this as I sit next to my A as it goes for a drive in my garage. Well, kind of. Trying to fix an annoying leak in my radiator, which I pulled a few months ago and took to a repair man who soldered it up for me. Didn't last - which he did suggest was a strong possibility given the state of play.
Played my final card with a container of Silver Seal flakes, hence the need to run the car for half an hour or so. Can't go for a real drive due to my driveway being full of building materials for our house Reno!
Things are looking positive, with the drip (was about every 2 seconds) seeming to take up - but it did take about half an hour for this to happen. Fingers crossed.
If I find that this is ultimately unsuccessful, I'm looking at a major bill for a re-core - maybe around $1000. Radiator Repair Man tells me it's pretty much impossible to get an original honeycomb core these days (I'm in Oz).
Who runs a modern style radiator and what do you think of its appearance? I'd be reluctant to go down this path. My car is a survivor, not a trailer queen.
Sitting in the garage and running in the mid rev range, the radiator is doing a good job. Can just see the red in my motometer, about 3/4" up from the bottom, so that's a plus, I guess.
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote