View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #28
cpf240

Default Re: Intro & Questions - '29 Special Coup

Got some time to fiddle around with the car today.

First up was to drain the coolant - not sure what it was, but it was a bit milky and there might have been some oil in there. I'm hoping it is just something left over from whatever work was done on it years ago, though the #3 & 4 plugs are rusty on the threads and tips. No sign of water on the dipstick. I'm hoping the worst case is a head gasket.

I poured in a 50/50 mix that should keep things happy until the temps warm up around here. Pulled the plugs, sprayed fogging oil in the cylinders and spun the engine a bit in the hopes that that would circulate the coolant a bit.

While the coolant was draining, I decided to ground out the generator, on the off chance that maybe it will still work one day. I went from the output stud to one of the cutout mounting screws, which I think should do the job.

At some point I went inside and ordered a rebuild kit for the carburetor from Renners. Nice folks to talk to, and lots of knowledge.

Lastly, I pulled some miscellaneous bits and pieces out of the trunk/rumble seat area. So far, I've identified the following:

2 battery hold down brackets
1 hand crank / lug wrench
2 door window anti-rattle strips
2 pieces of trim for the top
1 metal part that seems to go above the dash panel

Not sure on the other bits. Any ideas? What is the bracket/hinge piece for?

I also found the wood frame for the bottom of the seat. Yay! Another question I have is that the wood frame for the seat back doesn't seem to align properly with the L brackets at the bottom. The metal part that the L brackets are attached to seems to be loose, so perhaps it is not installed properly, or is just sitting there. I do have the tabs at the top of the frame slotted into the wood piece in front of the package shelf.

Also got notice today that more parts for/from this car will be shipped to me shortly. Can't wait to see what arrives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 022017 Misc Items Found in Car_sm.JPG (377.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 022017 Unknown Latch or Hinge_sm.JPG (403.5 KB, 30 views)
cpf240 is offline   Reply With Quote