View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
Keith True

Default Re: Unsafe safetyglass.

Where I am the cost of tempered glass is just shy of double the price of laminated.It has to be sent out to get tempered,and the closest place that did it went out of business.The glass guys cut it here,finish it,then box it up to go out for tempering.They don't have to box it like we would for UPS,but it does have to be protected enough to make a 40 mile ride in a truck with other glass piled in with it.Then it has to be picked up,unless you want to wait for the weekly delivery by them.I wouldn't do it in an A again,the strength is just not needed there.Because of the laminated glass in some of the modern stuff the rescue guys here are schooled in how to remove a piece of laminated in 12 seconds.My dad does a lot of remodeling in homes,he has gotten a lot of glass cut and tempered.That situation is different though,the safety factor is important there.You can't have a kid running full tilt into a glass cupboard door fitted with plate glass.I have a friend in the glass business that does mostly home and commercial work,but still does old cars and street rods because he likes them.He still does Model A windshields for $75.installed in the frame.I went to him for glass for my Tudor,he said the new tempering outfit was much better priced and it would only be a few dollars more.I would prefer tempered,so I said OK.He called a week later,told me they were ready but I didn't have to take them.The price was double.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote