View Single Post
Old 10-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #16
steve hackel

Default Re: For those who don't have a four post lift......

Based on the initial question and some of the responses, I'll toss in 2 cents worth of opinion , and your mileage may vary..... As dealerships and used car lots close with some regularity, often times there are the " drive up ramps" sitting in their lots - often times fir sale and cheap.
A few years ago our area went through this business model transformation and there were ramps at most closed and or vacant facilities.
I contacted several and also went to the village hall, and for my efforts I located 4 sets available.
My friends bought 2, and I myself bought 2-1/2 sets. My ramps are about 15' long x 18" wide and stand 22" tall, and can be used for modern vehicles and also my A' and my 34. If your vehicle does not run, a cheap harbor freight winch will easily pull anything up the 2 removable ramps to work on the cars.
My second - half set - was cut and modified to act as an additional lift that can be added to the existing 22"tall platforms, and the remainder of cut offs were used to lengthen and raise the removable ramps to fit the talker platforms.
I stack and store them behind my garage, but only need help stacking them if my cherry picker is not available. True, somewhat bulky for many, but a club might look into this. They can be transported by any landscape trailer, and will also work inside any garage with an 8' ceiling if you want to work under the car. So they're not for everyone , but just another suggestion to think about. �� cost wise. I invested $200 and some saws-all blades, some mig welding and an afternoon of measuring and fitting. For me, it was less than the cost of a name brand floor jack and 4 tall jack stands: the versatility is amazing and limited only by your imagination ��
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote