View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #43
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Well, today was the day to pull the rear, etc. out of the '39 Zephyr. Dense, the Hot Rod Lady Cruiser was a little late getting to the party but, Mike, Don, John, Steve and Pete were all hear to lend a hand. I can't post any of the photos that we took because my computer crashed last week and the Wizards have not fixed it yet so, I'll try and do the best I can without pictorial assistance. We got the rear free while the car was up in the air on the lift. Once we knew we could roll it out from under the car I lowered the lift and we pulled the rear assembly out and away from the car. We put the car back in the air and using both a bottle jack to brace the bell housing and the transmission jack to lift the transmission (the '39 Zephyr transmission has to be removed from inside the car as the wishbone and cross member are in the way) we were able to free the transmission and check the clutch, pressure plate, etc. What we found, much to my chagrin was that the "noise" was in fact coming from the transmission. We pulled the side cover only to see that the cluster gear was missing several teeth. We stuck a magnet into the transmission case and started pulling out broken chunks... Oh well, stuff happens and you just have to deal with it. Now, it was time for pizza. Don and John had other obligations so they had to depart prior to our repast. Denise, Mike, Steve, Chuck and I climbed into my '39 CS and took off to get the pizza. It has been unseasonably cool (heck, its COLD) her for the last few days so, rather than dine alfresco, we decided to bring the pizza and soda back to the garage. All in all we had another fun day and we were all really glad to see Denise. Maybe the Wizards will have my computer back up and running in a few days, if so, I'll post some of the photos. Thanks again to all the guys and our special guest. Vic