View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Pics of KD tube shock installation

I installed the shocks at the same time as I was also lubricating the springs and rebuilding the rear brakes. Was just easier since I had the frame up on jack stands, wheels and drums off, etc.

In the photos here I show the installed position of the rear passenger's side shock. The upper bracket attaches to two existing holes on the cross-member. This operation was easier with the wheels off and the rear end dropped a bit.

Note: I had to purchase new bolts to go through the cross-member and the bracket because my existing ones weren't long enough and none came with the kit.

The lower bracket attaches to the back of the backing plate via the rear two bolts that hold the plate to the axle. Ken provides new bolts to use, but they're not the same type as the originals, with the long shoulder and castle nut. They're standard bolts with a nut and lock washer. However, what's pictured here is not Ken's bolts but instead a pair of original long bolts that normally go on the other side of the backing plate, where the radius rod attaches. More on that in the next post.

Rear shock installation was pretty easy, but if you don't already have your rear drums off, you will need to remove them to get at the bolts for the lower bracket.

To be continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2498.jpg (142.8 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2499.jpg (32.0 KB, 219 views)
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)