View Single Post
Old 02-29-2016, 11:11 PM   #140
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Well it's been a while. Today marks the beginning of high school baseball practice. My employee of 16 years is a coach and he leaves work at 2 in the spring time. After he's gone, I do a few things around the shop and gravity seems to take me down the hill to the 'lower shop' where the woodie is. In celebration I cleaned out the floor, which was a total mess, and built a temporary shelf to set stuff on so I can work towards door sills and flooring for the rear cargo and back seat area. Since my business centers around the use of salvaged and reclaimed lumber I have saved out a quantity of 1x4 douglas fir t&g flooring from an old school to use as the rear floor. I grabbed a couple of short pieces to see how it joined up to the rear tail pan (tail plank)...To plane it clean it will be about 5/8" thick. On the outside edge of the flooring, scribed around the fenders will be a 7/8" thick border piece down each side. This will be routed out underneath to cover the 3/8" steel angle brackets at the posts. After that I will construct thin plywood panels inside the body's sides which hide the screws and irregularities holding the panels in the woodie's framework. Stay tuned for tomorrow's after 2:00 report. The plan is to finish up the body sans doors and lift it off the chassis, install running gear and drivetrain, set it back on and shim permanently, then build and fit the wood doors and tailgate assemblies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jailbar door and cleanup 018.jpg (63.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg jailbar door and cleanup 008.jpg (64.7 KB, 60 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote