View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #14
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Sellers throwing away good parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
He set his price at $7.because he knew a new system was about $70.He figured ten cents on the dollar was a cheap price.A lot of junkyard pricing then was half price of new.Not for everything,but for most parts you could carry.His parts were always priced right,but once in a while he would get somebody who thought he would chisel down the bargain price some more.He would do something like that every couple of years,and it would remind everybody he wouldn't tolerate insulting offers.He said it was a cheap way of getting the word out.I remember him asking a guy if he had any friends,when the guy answered yes he said to tell them he didn't want them in his shop either.I always found him to be a great guy to deal with.He had all the business than he could handle until he died.
I suppose but still. I've been to countless yards in multiple states and they are all different. Some are good priced - others are on crack somedays on some parts (like $1 less than new...) yet some only value scrappable parts (plastic stuff is cheap metal stuff is hit or miss). Point is some parts i have no idea what they value them at. Sometimes i have no idea what something is worth. I've bought whole stainless tailpipes from muffler back to bumper for $5 at one yard while another wants $20 for the slightly rusted 2 ft pipe between the cat and muffler. I sure as heck will try to haggle that $20 especially since they wont tell me a price till i struggle laying in the junkyard dirt to get it off.