View Single Post
Old 10-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #92
Gene F

Default Re: It’s getting harder to drive my A

I called a shop that does nothing except springs, and alignments, suspensions... They wanted to guess at $240 if everything is ok. I was close to taking it to Tire Discounters, and now wondering if I should have ($120).

They were so proud to show me a printout their fancy machine spit out. Wrong specs were either in the system, or typed in. My 1967 Chevy ElCamino factory manual has different specs. There is one that is in spec, but it is at the limit, so technically it's correct. On a dead-level road it does track straight. However, the wheel is off at the top by about 3/4 to 7/8" I know what he did, he cleared his machine before he took it for a test drive. I specifically asked that the tech test drive it to check his work. They typed on the work order that "the steering box is worn, so the wheel may not always be straight, but it drives right". Bull he just didn't want to walk the sleeves over like 1/2 turn, and recheck. A manual steering box, with a rag-joint will never be as tight as a rack-n-pinion. It's a manual steering box rag-joint too. I drove the thing, and knew I was gonna take it in, and I never even thought the box was loose. Thought about adjusting the thrust on it, then decided heck he left something undone and wanted to move on. I'll pop the steering wheel off, and move it over a notch. Will take me less time than it will to even drive back over there. Owned it 15 years, I bet I have less than 2,000 miles on it. I think that steering shaft has a 32 spline on it. Ticks me off. $182

Last edited by Gene F; 10-15-2021 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add value
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote